Alas, La ¡Cinta! did not make the list.
Comscore.com just released their website figures for April 2009. Below are the Top 15 most visited music websites. As a reference point, Gorilla vs Bear – which is one of the busier indie-music blogs – averages about 194,280 visits per month. I have no idea what kind of traffic sites like Pitchfork, Stereogum, and Hype Machine receive, but I’m willing to bet it’s no where near AOL Music’s 28,634,778 per month. I’m also willing to bet that there are some music torrent trackers that could possibly make the Top 25 list.
AOL Music (28,634,778)
– Seriously, I want to know who visits this site on a regular basis. I know I’m a little left of mainstream in musical tastes, but AOL Music? Really? Does AOL trick people into checking this website? I would LOVE to see the demographics for AOL readers.
MySpace Music (27,423,200)
– Well I suppose I contribute to the MySpace traffic; however, I do so reluctantly. It just so happens that almost every band uses MySpace to post news and music. Can’t wait until all my favorite bands just use Muxtape instead.
Yahoo Music (20,578,092)
– Never been to this site before. Isn’t Yahoo going bankrupt right now? They should just fire all their useless employees and executives and keep their music writing team and make a living selling commercial space/participating in brand synergy campaigns with major labels.
MTV Networks Music (18,543,442)
– Wait, does MTV actually have music on their website? I would have guessed it was just a bunch of fluff about the Hills and Paris Hilton’s BFF. I remember those times when Animal Collective was featured on an MTV website and I thought the world was ending.
ArtistDirect Network (12,193,996)
– Never heard of this website.
MSN Music (7,352,016)
– Kind of wish my friends still used MSN Messenger… Facebook Chat just doesn’t do it for me. Wouldn’t iChat or AIM be cooler? Oh well at least I can follow indie-stars on Twitter. Oh, and I can hardly imagine what Microsoft’s music news must be like.
Jango Music Network (6,921,809)
– Never heard of this site.
Universal Music Group (6,240,440)
– Does Universal do music news on their website? Or are people just trying to find out when the new Blink-182 album is due?
– I contribute a small amount of traffic to Imeem. It seems to be one of the better sites for streaming music, but it’s still not great.
Project Playlist (6,043,186)
– Never heard of it.
– I recognize the word “Rhapsody” but I have no idea what this is.
Sony Music Entertainment (3,900,618)
– I too want to know when the new Strokes album is coming out.
– Is this a website for song lyrics?
– I know a lot of music-nerds & bloggers use this website, but I can’t stand it. I can never play the song I want to hear.
WindowsMedia.com Music (3,054,952)